Wednesday, May 16, 2012

You know, I don't think I ever mentioned it on here, but I am now in possession of a step-mom.  My real mom died several years ago and Dad remarried recently.  The funny thing is despite all the stories of people disliking their step-parents is that I love it.  I mean, if I could have my real mom back I would want that but since I can't, I really like my step-mom.

I don't know if she's just that an awesome of a person or if I just miss my mom so much that I'm willing to attach myself to any surrogate, but I think I actually love her.  Not just like her, like I previously thought, but love her.  At the wedding she was all teary eyed and said she loved me and my sister, and I sent her a mother's day e-card and her response was very touching.  I always liked her, because she is really nice all the time, but I am actually feeling a bond, which I hadn't anticipated.  I thought it would be like hanging out with my in-laws.... they're nice people, and I like them, but I probably wouldn't hang out with them sans my husband.  Whereas if my step mom wanted to hang out without my Dad, I'd be like, "let's do it!"

Anyway it's a good feeling to have a sort-of mom, or a person similar to that in your life after you've had none.  I still have that hole in me that no one can fill, but it's not as painful around the edges anymore.

Oh:  also the wedding was pretty decent.  They picked really good food at the reception!  And my step-mom told us what color she wanted us to wear but we basically got to pick out everything on our own, which was nice.  It was a Catholic wedding, but she must've gotten the priest to shorten it because it was of manageable length.  Her daughters sang (they are really ridiculously good, they sound professional) and my sister did a reading.  It was nice meeting her children & grandchildren, they were all really nice too.  One of them even baked my Dad a pie in addition to the wedding cake, because she knew he likes that better than cake.

At first I was sort of dismayed because I didn't get to help, but they asked me to help with music for the reception (I did that for my own wedding, and my dad knows I love doing that sort of thing).  They were really happy with it and still listen to it in the car all the time!  I also got to give a toast at the reception, I think I liked doing that better than a reading anyhow, because I got to say what I want, not just repeat someone else's words.  Everyone said I did a good job!

0 comments: