Friday, May 11, 2012

Dunno if I shared it with Facebook yet but I got fired awhile ago. On friday the 13th, actually, go figure. I don't blame my employer or anything, but I promise I'm not a terrible person. Also: the problem that got me fired (colitis) actually started getting better right before I got canned, and I've been doing great. My many absences just happened to catch up with me right then. Anyway, I was wondering if people had any ideas? I thought maybe I could start a business.... I have the capital, I think. It's just scary to risk it, especially since I don't know anything about running my own business. --Was thinking about a restaurant or cafe or something, because they're one of the few small businesses common anymore. --Was thinking about doing something on the internet? Not sure I'd make very much money. But it's pretty low-risk to sell crafts on etsy or something. --Something with video? Maybe doing wedding videos for people or something? I don't have any of the equiptment (and for anyone who doesn't know, that stuff is more expensive than you would think) but that is one of the few things I have a little know-how for. --Sometimes I think of crazy things like becoming a writer or stand up comedian, but I want something, you know, actually possible. I haven't seriously been looking yet anyway, because I needed knee surgery. But as the knee heals up, I have been thinking more and more. Here are the things I am good at and/or enjoy: --baking --Origami --drawing/making abstract things: http://phoemeister.deviantart.com/ --degree in communication, focus: video production. Minor: Film studies --knowledge of indie music --knowledge of indie/classic film --knowledge of pulp fantasy novels --I make excellent mom & poo jokes. This is probably not useful in any way, but you know, leave no stone unturned and all that. --I loathe to use it, but patience & finesse. Working in a call center has given me a fine-tuned ability to deal with people. I can fucking deal with anyone, no matter how angry, stupid, difficult and/or annoying they are being. --I can type at least 70 wpm, am familiar with MS Office and am pretty good with most computer applications. --Intelligence. I know this sounds douchey but I've realized that I am more intelligent than most people. I learn quickly and get bored just as quickly if the job doesn't need much of that intelligence. --creativity --knowlege of obscure card/board games Cons: --Colitis --it has to be in this area, Jeremy loves B/N & his current job, and I love him. Failing that, I would like to find a job that is rewarding. I'm not above conceited, I don't think I'm "above" doing anything, but I'm tired of shitty jobs. I want something that at least uses a good sized fraction of my intelligence or creativity. A job where I get some fucking respect. Not sure if that's available, esp. given my shitty employment history, but a girl can dream. Failing that uh.... I guess I could go back to school? I just don't know what I'd study that would help my employment chances. Failing that I'll probalby just try to get a job at a store or restaurant that I like to go to, and figure hey at least I'll probably get a discount and can walk around instead of sitting in a chair all day. I prefer retail to waiting tables, as I am pretty klutzy, but I've heard you can make better money off of tips if you work someplace like that. I do have good memories of my time at retail.... I used to hate it because the lady who ran the store was the antichrist, but hopefully I would not run into that elsewhere. But on the plus side, I had so many friends at Borders. Like I've made a few decent friends at my jobs since then, but at Borders I was friends with nearly everyone and hang out with a lot of them outside of work ALL the time. I'm reluctant to give up my weekends again after having worked a standard shift, but you can't be too picky. Any tips or ideas, anyone?

0 comments: