Thursday, August 20, 2009

So here's a review of the Time Traveler's Wife. No one probably cares, but I'm itching to get it out of me.

So I had expectations, because I read the book. I expected something wonderful.

But I also know there are very few things based on a book that are as good as the book.

Anyway, the basic premise of the book is that there's a guy who time travels. But it's not a scientific advancement, it's a genetic affliction he has. I call it an affliction, because it's completely involuntary and causes him quite a lot of trouble, inconvenience, and even mortal danger at times. For whatever reason, the time traveling often takes him back to places or people that are important in his life. One of these places is this meadow where his wife grew up. So for her, when they first meet, he's like in his 40's or something, and she's 6. For him, when they first meet, they're more even ages and he has no idea who she is though she's known him as a semi-regular fixture in her life since she was a child.

It's not a science fiction novel. That is, it's not written like a science fiction novel, and they keep it in the "literature" section, not the science fiction section. And I know tons of people who wouldn't be caught dead reading sci fi who love this novel. It's won tons of awards, has been a huge bestseller, etc. etc.

Anyway, I don't really recommend seeing it to anyone, now that I've seen it. It's fairly faithful to the original work, in that they didn't add anything bad. But it's so.... shallow. There's no real reason to like or dislike the characters, or for the characters to even be together, except "destiny." But while the book does say that things can't be changed or prevented when he's going back in time (such as the car accident that killed his mother), it doesn't act like they're together because they have to. It is the other way around, he is drawn to her past because he already loves her in the present. And they have personalities, so you see why they love each other. I dunno, I'd hoped it'd be somewhat more like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind... I felt like those characters and their unconventional/tragic love story were fleshed out, so I thought it was possible these characters and their unconventional/tragic love story could be fleshed out. But... maybe it's just better as a book.

0 comments: