Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Meh... I can't sleep. And I had other stuff I meant to say in the last post only it became a ramble about my throat.

Oh, plus I have even more throat news: I was webmding it up, and I have to give props to the doctors, it actually does seem more like they maybe got it right with strep. The only thing that worries me is apparently rabbits can catch strep too and I'd been interacting my rabbit as much as usual the last few days, which I probably shouldn't've. I don't want 007 to feel crappy like I do... nor do I want to drive to champaign and pay a vet bill.

Speaking of, at work:

Sally: *talking about this school called Parkland*
Me: Where is Parkland, anyway?
Sally: Champaign
Me: Oh, that's where I had my rabbit's testicles removed!

Anyway, there is more Toastmaster soap opera... at this point it doesn't even really annoy me, since I already thought it was done I'm not emotionally invested at this point. But anyway, something or other came down from the District* leadership because a bunch of other people missed training, that there has to be make-up training. Well... the prez of my club didn't think I should get an exception just for me RE: training, but if a bunch of other people get make-up training, I should to. The area governor apparently agrees with her. But I guess the division leadership is fighting her on it or something.

Which... I know the division governor, and he takes Toastmasters a a bit too seriously. A prev. officer of my club was talking to me at one point about how he was all trying to make her go out of her way to do training and stuff back in the day (though--she had more leverage than I do in turning it all down, no one wanted her post and she said she wouldn't do a bunch of extra crap from the very beginning. It took a lot of nudging to get her to take the office to begin with). And I sort of get why he's SO into Toastmasters. He's like 70 and has the same piece of shit job I do. In fact, I admire him--I would be so fucking bitter at that point, but instead he makes the most of it, esp. by throwing himself so far into Toastmasters. And he's a genuinely nice guy who's gone out of his way more than once to help me with Toastmaster things. But... it does seem like he could relax a little bit if the District is mandating this, and the Prez (who was also none too happy that I f-ed up) & Area Governor are going along with it.

I have had "Boombox" and "I'm on a Boat" from Incredibad stuck in my head for like three days straight.

My friend Todd at work is getting more and more bitter, which makes me sad, because he's the most positive of my group in general. He actually LIKES customers, that crazy S.O.B. But, even for him it's wearing thin. We have been super busy for like the last month. Because of the economy & cutbacks and all that, they've let us know that they are more than prepared to keep us understaffed for the foreseeable future. I don't like it, but sort of understand that it's business, and am glad that they aren't laying people off. But he sort of takes it personally. Today he was saying, "The way they keep us in queue all day, you can tell they've never taken a call themselves. It's like on the old Roman galleys... the guy cracking the whip doesn't care about the people rowing."

I was pretty bitter too, though. Between the sore throat, the constant queue, and the customer who called me a "stupid bitch" and hung up on me because I didn't get the spelling of his crazy name correct the very first time when he rattled it off a thousand miles per hour. Oh also yesterday I had a customer specifically ask to be transferred to another rep because she didn't like my voice. Every time I think there's no new way to insult my voice, someone finds it. Though... oddly, like a week ago, for the first time, I actually had a lady compliment my voice. She said it was "slammin'" and that she hoped I was in a choir. My mental sarcasm scan came out clean.

I don't know if it's just the queue, but it feels like my group is getting more and more upset. Sally got in trouble for a really dumb thing and her supervisor treats her like she's a three year old. Todd, like I said, gets really frustrated about the queue. Connie and I are extremely frustrated at our lack of success in getting promoted. Connie, esp, being like 50, blames her age, and then also lack of college education. I tell her I'm not getting anywhere either, but she still holds to the orig. belief.

I'm getting angry because even though I HAVE had to go to the colon doctor more than once this year (blood in the stool--I feel like I have to get that stopped) I still don't qualify for FMLA... I think it's some retarded thing about me being part time. You know what dude, my colitis isn't part time. If I have to poop, I have to poop, and unless you can bring a computer to me in the toilet, there are just some days I'm going to have to call in. But telling people that doesn't seem to work. And my supervisor seems to think my spotty attendance record is why I'm not being promoted. And that's why I've been working all week though my throat feels like shit.

________
* from small to big: club, area, division, district. There may be a few in between or something, but there you go.

0 comments: