Sunday, July 26, 2009

Yaaaay!

I found a good song to be obsessed with after going so long without. I dunno... I felt like I was becoming an old person, not really caring about music after a certain age. My parents and sister did it...

I don't know if it's been the depression or just not bumping into good new music as often as I did back in the day, or even just the total frustration of having gigs and gigs of music that you'd previously ripped or sorted.... and then having your computer burn out with no back up. But it's been hard. I listen to music in the car or when I'm with Josh, but haven't really been able to sink my teeth into anything for awhile, you know?

Anyway, it's from the new(er) Wolf Parade album, called At Mount Zoomer or something like that. The song is Kissing the Beehive. It just fucking rocks.... I don't know why I decided to listen to it today, I'd pretty much decided the new album wasn't that good when I got it, (and it might not be), but the song has me obsessed.

I think part of the reason I never got into it is I got it back when I had the fucked up neighbors who would key my car or slash my tires if I played my music above a whisper, and was losing my MP3 player all the time. Back in the day, Rebecca observed (and it's totally true) that Wolf Parade just doesn't sound that good at a reasonable volume, but it's somehow totally perfect when blasted. In the car: this song is magic. It's a crazy dramatic thing--there's something about dramatic music that when it's good, it's GREAT--about 10 min. long. The first bit is slow and good. The next bit, I bet I could get even my friends who don't like WP to like, because it doesn't have the guy's voice, which everyone hates. It's basically just rocking out until the next part, which has the same tune/speed but has singing. Then after that there's a random rock out without words.

I also have to give an honorable mention to The Bens cover of "I Touch Myself." I've never really loved or hated the orig. song, it's just always been there. But two straight dudes singing it to each other (Folds & Lee) with so much gusto is hilarious, plus I can't get enough of Folds' piano action. Kweller says he's not involved in the song because he was "too busy touching himself." Actually, accidently finding that in my pile of stuff (from Josh, I think) got me into "categorize music mode" which I've badly needed to do (still badly need to do, only got a little of the massive job done) which reminded me I had the Wolf Parade.

0 comments: