Monday, March 30, 2009

So awhile ago I decided I'm in the market for a pet. I'm kind of tired of living alone, none of the people I've offered a room to want to live with me, and I don't want to try a stranger. So: pet.

--I want a mammal. I think turtles and frogs are crazy cute but I want something I can pet.

--My first instinct: dog. I grew up with dogs and like dogs. But... we can't have dogs in the building because they make too much noise. And to be honest, I'm pretty lazy for a dog. I would need to have a fenced in yard before I could even consider having a dog because I'm too lazy to take one out all the time.

--Second instinct: hamster. Again, had a couple growing up. I love hamsters. They are crazy cute and if you're good at it (like I am) you can get them to fall asleep on you and you have a little buddy to cuddle with while you're reading a book or watching TV. And they're cheap and I still have a cage at my Dad's house I could get. But... they die really, really easily. 4 years is if your hamster is Methuselah, and I had one die in less than a year. Also an animal you have to keep in a cage is still like living alone, they never come to the door to greet you or anything. And if the hamster doesn't like you or is a dick it'll hide in a tube so that you can't get it out half the time.

So I've not really gotten an animal (I'll discuss the 3rd obvious option in a second).

Anyway, this weekend I was at a friend of a friend's house for the first time and they had a bunny rabbit. I fell in love. You can apparently train them to use the litter box like a cat and give them the run of the house (as long as you protect your electrical cords from them chewing on them first). The bunny was so cute, and way mellower than most dogs and cats I've met, but still friendly and coming over to be petted.

Now, I'm not going to run out and get a rabbit right now anyway. I am visiting my friend Ryan in Arizona in May and I also have a wedding I'm part of in May, so I think I should hold off till then. But I've been mentioning to people I'm thinking of getting a bunny. The weird thing is people immediately tell me to get a cat instead, at least two people even offered me free cats. Are bunnies actually lame and the one I met just the one good one?

Anyway, I have great memories of my neighbor's cat when I was growing up, she'd always come over and rub against my legs and let me pet her when I was outside waiting for the bus. I like the cat at Waiting Room records who will come over to get petted. If I could get a cat like that I'd do it. But... Josh's roommate has a crazy cat that constantly attacks people and breaks things. Rebecca's old roommate had a herd of cats that constantly peed on everything in the entire house. Pat & Deanna have a cat that is fun to play with but apparently tries to bite or run away if you want to pet it or cuddle. And I've known countless other cats I would describe as "snooty" that don't seem to like me or want to do anything at all with me. So it seems like the odds are low on getting a friendly cat and I hate Josh's roommate's cat so much it's taken away my urge to even gamble on a cat at all.

I don't know. I guess it's probably good I have the time period before the trip where I can think it over. I wish I could just steal the bunny I met this weekend or the cat from Waiting Room. But I hear it's illegal.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As for bunny...I've known several bunnys. They are adorable! And very soft. However they can also hide away and really the chewing thing is a BIG problem! Be very careful if you get one. I had one I was holding eat my shirt while I was holding it. It was adorable until I realized I now had a hole on my boob and was in a large group setting that was not family only so I was extremely uncomfortable.
As for cat...if you get one from the humane society you caaan play with the kitty in a seperate room and see it's personality before taking it. They have some really awesome cats there. And Seattle doesn't bite every time you pet or cuddle him. He just only wants to be petted and cuddled when he wants to and will protest at other times...though he always gives good warning before biting and sometimes will just mew pitifully at you to try to guilt you into leaving him alone instead of attacking. Really depends on his mood and how much attention he's had recently.

Phoex said...

Thanks for the input! If I get a bunny I will protect my boobs, if I get a cat I will make sure he/she is nice!