Friday, September 14, 2007

celebrate good times come on

So I think the thing I will most miss about where I live now is the memories. I had a lot of good times in this place, and since most of my friends moved, I wonder if I will ever have as active a social life ever again, and if I could make a new place full of the same memories. Like yesterday, we had a meeting about this kind of club I could join at work. My company's big enough that it's almost like a university, there's just tons of social groups you can join that I never knew about. A good portion of the purpose is to meet people (network) who can help you get a better job within the company. I think I'm going to join either way, to see if it's any good. But for a second I was really excited about the prospect of making friends with people. But 1) most of the social outtings are in the evening or weekened, which is annoying for second shift people and 2) I'm wondering what kind of friends I'd meet, and if I'd even want them that bad. Will they be the boring type who want to talk about gas prices, mortgages, and children? Will I have to keep the part of me that constantly jokes about burning hookers supressed? I did this kind of friendship in high school, and hated myself. And even when I'm supressing... stuff slips out, and I don't fit in quite right.

But anyway before I got sidetracked, I wanted to mention the awesome memories I have of this place that I don't want to forget. I'm trying to go chronologically, but it is, of course, difficult.

--The first time I ever went to this place was when it was my friend Mouse's place. We watched Polar Express together, and made fun of the annoying nerdy kid character. We came up with the hilarious (to us) idea of calling up Borders with various prank requests, that we never followed through on. He burned me Nada Surf and Beck.

--Getting my ENORMOUS couch up the crazy twisted stairs. This is when I first met the DN's, as well. BDN, I have to say, is responsible for me even having this couch up here, because we got stuck in the hallway, and he reccomended taking out the drop ceiling. Of course, a bunch of insulation and who knows what other crap came out on all of us. The first thing I had to do as an inhabitant of this place was clean that up. This was to be the foundation of my friendship with the DN's.

--First visit from anyone: Opt. We played cards, Ryan DJ'ed over the interwebs. I played crazy-ass no rules Fluxx for the first time. I can't remember if it was this time or later, but we played a card game called Guillotine. The actual game was fun, but even more fun: ogling the cartoon women on the cards and ranking their sexiness.

--my housewarming party. The first party I ever threw, and it was a lot of fun. I made my first margarita, furthered the friendship with the DN's, and impressed people with my AWESOME musical taste.

--Ryan's visit. This visit gave birth to the couch's decline into sluttiness (Opt and I went to Chicago to pick him up, and I humped some children's murals there, which led to humping my couch when I went back. Which led to other people humping my couch over time). He, I, Hootie, and Opt watched Tron together, because I never had. He, I and Opt watched Leon the Professional together, and I lost Gary Oldman to Opt in a game of Rock Paper Scissors. Ryan forced me to watch K-Pax, and yelled at me the whole time whenever he thought I was going to go to sleep and miss a part. Ryan also forced me to watch Legend, and we discussed whether or not both DVD's had been down the pants of anyone at Hipster Video. I piled every cushion of my couch on him and humped him like a madwoman.

--Hanging out on Mondays with Opt when we would carpool. We'd come into work in super high spirits and annoy the crap out of Tami. All of these were good times, but my favorite (and this might be multiple times my memory changes into one time) was the first time we had racist pancakes. Opt's roommate's ex boyfriend the neo-nazi left at their house a whole bunch of pancake mix. She brought it over and we had pancakes. This became a habit, too. We also discussed what versions of Smells Like Teen Spirit I should put on a mix CD I was making of all covers of Smells Like Teen Spirit. This included "Smells like Teen Booty," a mash up with Destiny's Child, Smells Like Billie Jean (Michael Jackson Mash Up), the Bad Plus, a crappy punk version, moog cookbook, and of course the TMBG version on accordion, with Flans singing the vocals backwards. We also watched parts of a TMBG documentary, and I can safely say this is probably when I really started being into TMBG. We sang the Mono Puff song "Poison Flowers" at work the whole day afterwards.

--laying in the sun that came through the window over my couch.

--Metal Tuesdays, when BDN and I would watch Metalocalypse 12 oz Mouse, and Robot Chicken together, and then whatever other random crap was on the interwebs until GDN got home. Then I'd hang out with GDN while BDN fiddled around with the interwebs. This is how we discovered Dschinghis Khan, a german disco band that is so happy that it kills emo. GDN and I listened to the 3 songs we could find of theirs over, and over, and over. Then she went to Borders and ordered a whole album. Extreme happiness ensued.

--Hanging out with Opt and BDN, when Opt told us that her mother looks like the cryptkeeper, and BDN made us imagine the Cryptkeeper and Steven Hawking doing it on the kitchen table. Watching Sid & Nancy with them, and begging for Nancy to die at the end because she was so goddamn annoying. Opt and BDN teaching GDN & I Euchre, then playing a marathon game of apple's to apples where we put "poo" and "Opt's mom" on the blank cards. Joking the whole time that there should be a Holocaust card to horribly misuse. Horribly misusing the Helen Keller card. Sexy coming up as an adjective, and Opt playing Schindler's list. I picked it hands down, and BDN agreed, saying, "Schindler's List has tits in it."

--Watching a TMBG documentary with Opt, GDN, and a reluctant BDN. All of us enjoying a meal I cooked (defrosted, anyway)

--making snowflake christmas decorations

--Parties I had, including a christmas one where Lister showed up first and we had to awkwardly make small talk until others arrived. My birthday party, where YM and I dry humped each other to The Fray. When model train guy asked us to keep the noise down and Nebrasky told me later he had had the crazy urge to dump a metal bowl of goldfish on his head and start banging on it. Having pizza with opt and the DNs at a party where everyone else was late to show up. Text messaging Jersey during a party he didn't show up to, "your mother is a dirty whore who fucks midgets with syphillis." Being taken home after I was really drunk the first time and YM jumping on top of me and humping. Me drunkenly believing Herd when he told me he had been to the country on a map on my calendar.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that we might be slaves to the same corporate juggernaut.

Personally, I've no qualms with humour of the "immolating prostitutes" variety.