Sunday, February 18, 2007

So ever since I decided it was the new Phew's theme song, I've been listening a LOT to Magic Dance. It's pretty much always in my playlist, and whenever I feel like hearing it, I'll just put it after whatever song I'm currently listening to.

Anyway I find it hilarious that awhile ago I was listening to like... three albums in a row of Sufjan Stevens and all the sudden I'm like, "SCREW THIS! Time for Magic Dance!" So later when I closed winamp, it saved my playlist as this huge chunk of Sufjan with Magic Dance in the middle. So then later, I have it up again while I'm hanging out with the DN's. We're listening to Sufjan Stevens, which I think both of the DN's don't particularly love or hate and find acceptable as background music. Then all the sudden.... Magic Dance! It was hilarious to see their faces, because GDN lit up like a Christmas tree and BDN's face filled with horror as he scrambled to skip it. Probably funnier to me having been there, and people who know those two, and maybe people who know how different Sufjan is from Magic Dance than most people (ultimate hilarity for me, though, since I have all three going for me).

Also, and I was of this opinion even before I started being obsessed with Magic Dance, but I really, really think Magic Dance should be on Sting's CD, "Songs from the Labyrinth." Seriously, I've heard this album, and Magic Dance could only improve it. Hell, I just wish the CD was the entire soundtrack from Labyrinth, because it would just be hilarious. Anyway, I pointed this out to Opt the other day, and she burst my bubble by being completely right when she responded, "Dude, that would be horrible. I don't think Sting could pull off ANYTHING by Bowie." To be perfectly honest, I'm even willing to take it a bit further. I don't think Sting can pull off anything by anyone. Even Sting. I'm not a fan. Whereas yes, I do occaisionally enjoy some Bowie (though I came to it a lot more lately than most people).

So I was watching this one Venture Bros. (cartoon series on Adult Swim, it's kind of a tongue and cheek look at the world of superheroes and supervillains) not too long ago with Bowie in it. I don't know if he lent his voice to the project or if they just drew a guy that looked like Bowie and had someone do their best Bowie impression or what, but he was the head of the Guild (a clandistine supervillain organization), and had come to take care of Phantom Limb, a supervillain who had broken Guild rules. Anyway at the end he turns into a bird and flys away. Someone who missed most of the action says, "what just happened?" and one of the two dumb teenage kids in the series is like, "DUDE, you missed it! The guy from Labyrinth just turned into a bird and flew away!" and now I hear that line in my head at the end of every time I listen to Magic Dance.

Anyway since I'm listening to it again, I felt like posting all my anecdotes RE: Magic Dance.

Feel free to mock my weirdness/loseryness.

0 comments: