Monday, August 03, 2009

So:

The Toastmasters stuff is now resolved. Though I orig. thought the only reason to go to the training I missed was for President's Distinguished Award, which was already fulfilled, the real reason is that I don't get credit for being Sgt. at Arms if I don't.

My side:

--I think the training I missed is BS. I already have a booklet about the job and have learned from the lady who previously did it. The guy who locally taught the training hasn't even served in the position, so what would he know that I couldn't get out of reading whatever he did?

--they train every six months, we only elect new officers every year. You'd think fucking going to the other six months training would count, since it's the same shit, but you have to go twice

--they offered make up training last year. The reason it's not allowed this year is because we have a different Division governor, and he decided this awhile ago. It sounds like he just basically doesn't want to deal with it rather than anything about teaching me responsibility or anything. I mean I know it was irresponsible for me to miss it, but it seems irresponsible to not help me (or anyone like me) just because he doesn't feel like it.

--the thing I've already said about the board members of Toastmasters really thinking Toastmasters is more important than it already is. "Dude, this is a hobby, I'm already doing everything fine without training, there's no money involved, just let me do what I'm doing." "No, our bylaws say you need training!" I think it's a little lame you basically only get one shot. Your punishment for missing that one shot is having to drive five hours to a different one. Your punishment for not going to those is being forced out of office. Dude, I'm sorry that I'm absentminded and don't drive well.

--this is an elected position. 1) I ran unopposed. No one else wants to do this job. So stop telling me about squandering an opportunity someone else wanted. 2) Shouldn't the people who elected me decide whether or not I fucked up bad enough to be replaced, rather than the higher ups?


Their side:

--They told me OVER AND OVER what date/time etc. the local meeting was and I promised up and down I would go.

--They told me up and down (I don't remember this, but it sounds plausible, as I started tuning out stuff about how important this meeting is after they'd told me how important it was over and over) ALL the reasons I should be going to this meeting.

So since I sorta saw their side (and they are my friends and I don't want to be a dick to them) I didn't really make a thing about it. I guess they're going to elect someone for the morning meetings who gets credit, and then have me still do the job at night (I offered, so I could look like the noble one who cares more about this than the credit--plus I get time off the phone to do this).

The other thing they didn't really like is I notified the Prez I hadn't gone, and she said I couldn't get credit. I figured I could get a make up set up, because I know the guy who taught the local class and he loves ribs so I was going to bribe him into doing it for me with food. But first I wanted to make sure it counted, so I asked this guy who knows EVERYTHING about Toastmasters to see if there was some sort of loophole and that I could make the make up count.

Well, the guy who knows everything is the Division Governor, and the rib guy is the Area Governor, and they thought I was being a dick going over the Prez's head. I didn't really think about it as going over heads, I was thinking, "who is the Toastmasters freak who knows about all their stupid bylaws."

So I dunno what the Area governor really thinks about this, because I never contacted him. The Prez was mad at me but cordial about it. The division governor was mad and, I thought, rather snippy to me about it. So this was the verdict. They weren't total dicks though, I did offer to give my Sgt. at Arms pin back (toastmasters gouges individual clubs on the costs for little rewards like that) and they let me keep it.

Oh the last annoying thing is I still have to go to board meetings (which I hated going to in the first place) but now I don't get a vote on stuff. I think they did that to make me feel better about things, but they didn't know I freaking HATE board meetings. I'm thinking of gradually ceasing to attend them. Or suddenly ceasing to attend them.

0 comments: