Friday, September 05, 2008

So...

Last night at work I had a woman who screamed, "Are you even awake?" into the phone when I answered it. That was awesome.

And while I'm sure that woman (don't even get me started on the rest of that call), and many others, are just simply dicks, I have to wonder if people are even more hostile to me than other reps because of my voice. No one else I know gets, "Your voice is so nasal," or, "you sound tired!" or "You sound monotone!" at all, much less at the rate I get told. I've even had nice people who call me at home think I sound tired or like I just woke up even when I'm fine.

Either way, the world is a horrible place. I'm not kidding--anyone you know, even love or care about could be one of these people. People who yell at strangers over the phone who they know darn well didn't cause their problem in the first place are BAD PEOPLE. I don't care if they go to church or give to charity or are your sweet old grandma. It's what you do when you think no one knows that counts. Plus, I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure these are the sort of people that would've gone along with the holocaust, or any horrible world event you can think of because they like feeling more powerful than others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ashamed to say I've been rude a couple of times to strangers on the phone recently, but in these cases they called me: political push-polling. They start feeding me lines they are reading off their script, and it's just so ludicrous, I told them off and hung up. I hope I don't do it again. Just politely tell them I'm not interested.

The other thing that irritates me is the credit card company keeps calling with special deals for my Dad's account. And they can't seem to get it through to the bowels of the computer system that he has died, passed on, expired, and won't be using his credit card or any other services from them. Still, they keep calling.

I feel like these are intrusions, and it is justified to at least be angry. But not to be rude.

eric

Phoex said...

1) These fucking people call ME

2) Yeah, you're right, angry and rude are two separate things. For instance: I'm angry when they pull this shit on me..... and I am polite to them. I mean, I am not saying I'm a great person, I'd lose my job otherwise. Still, I'd like to believe that I wouldn't call a random person useless over the phone just because they were not allowed by the company they work for to give me the information I need.