Monday, May 14, 2007

that thing's just lucky I'm not armed

First day of work!

Verdict: yes, I do hate sitting down all day. Plus, having to pay attention to people talking. I always forget I have ADD until I'm stuck in a situation where I have to pay attention to things for long periods of time. Then, it's like, "Oh, I kind of forgot this would be HELL."

Anyway, still better than Afni. There was not quite the air of desperation around the place, and I think I might eventually become friends with the chick sitting next to me, we bonded over tales of retail terror (hers, of course, were better cause she worked at Wal Mart).

It is REALLY hard to find stuff there. Like, really hard. It is a conglomerate of a ton of buildings all connected, various floors, total cubicle farm, etc. etc. And on top of that it's really poorly designed, wider corridors you think definitely would lead to something don't, and you end up having to go through some weird little corridor to get to where you actually want. And on top of that, I can't find my way around most places that aren't that bad. So I spent 20 minutes on my break wandering around lost. On the upside, when I stopped to ask for directions, I met a woman who seriously had no idea what escalators are.

Me: Do you know how to get to place with the escalators?
Her: *confused look* Escalators?
Me: Like with the tables around them and all the windows?
Her: Oh, you mean the stairs that go up and down.
Me: Yeah, the escalators.
*she then gives me the directions*

Also, the place is well decorated, so it's pretty nice for a cube farm. Also, you get anywhere near a window and it's absolutely gorgeous. And since they know this fact, there are these huge plate glass windows everywhere.

Another awesome thing is I found out about shift differentials. Which basically mean that you get paid 10% more to work a swing shift, and 15% more to work a late shift. And all my shifts are swing, so I get basically a buck more an hour for doing something I kind of prefer anyway. I also found out I'm not working the one day a week it is most busy, hectic, and unpleasant.

An un-awesome thing is that they did something wrong when they were making my security badge so when I went to leave for the day, the revolving door stopped. I totally freaked out, and yelled, "Son of a bitch!" at the top of my lungs in front of half the people I just had training with (I already can tell and am sad that I'm not going to get away with the profanity and sexual harassment I did at my previous job). But then it slowly started going backwards and I was able to get out and talk to the Security Personnel who fixed it.

Lastly, but not least, I was the only one who brought lunch. And they insisted on giving us this long ass tour (pointless anyway because the lady who gave it kept getting lost and going crazy long routes to get to things, I was glad I had comfy shoes, other people were not so lucky) before we did anything, so I had to carry around my tuna helper the whole time. I, at one point, literally thought the exact words, "this tuna helper is an albatross around my neck." And then comparing my situation to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner made me giggle.

0 comments: