Wednesday, January 17, 2007

ow

You know, there are definitely worse things in the world than having difficult veins to draw blood from. Colitis, for instance. Abusive parents. Being mauled by a bear. Living in a hut in a third world country with no food and dirty water. Scads of other things, too.

But it's hard to remember that when you're terrified of needles and they're coming at you for the fourth time with one because they fucked up the other three times.

So yeah, after the blood test I went in for today (just routine colitis stuff, at the time I felt rather lucky to have a bloodtest instead of a colonoscopy) I feel spindled and mutilated and abused and resentful. If this had been just a couple years ago, I would've flipped out on the people and started crying and hyperventilating and refusing to be stuck again after the second time (like I did the first time I had to get blood taken). But I guess I've grown since then, for whatever that's worth.

Still, I wish I would've put up a little more of a fight and/or insisted on the best person they have, like I have in previous times. My mom has difficult veins too (though I'm beginning to think I'm worse than even her--ask me about how many times they had to stick me when I had my gallbladder out) and she will only give the person one try, and if they can't get it, get someone else. But I don't know if you've ever noticed from my descriptions of her, my mom's a little bit of a jerk. So... in interests of not being a jerk, I didn't do that, though I kind of wish I had now. Because I'm sure this woman was competant for anyone who doesn't have incredibly shitty veins, but I do have incredibly shitty veins, and she was not good at all at getting them. Anyway, she kept digging around, which is what I hate the most. I kept giving out little gasps when she was moving it around, and most of the time it didn't hurt that much, but she kept having to ask and I kept having to say, "uh, that one didn't hurt that much I just hate needles (and you)."

Anyway, after the second time I was going to ask for someone else, but then she called someone else in to help her, and I thought that woman was going to do it, but they suckered me, I just got the bad one again. And then finally the good one did do it in my hand and it worked. And she told me to make people do it in my hand from now on, but I really don't want them to blow the vein if they are like the first woman and are incompetant with shitty veins like mine (which is easier to do in the hand), because that's just all I need to make my horrifying needle stories complete.

Me: haha, I just noticed that working at the store has eradicated all "the's" and "a's" from me
Ryan: :X
Me: Like... whenever I say the title of a cd or book or movie or band, I never put in the the's or a's
Ryan: articles are for wusses
Me: because the program we use to look things up doesn't accept them
Me: so I call the Strokes "strokes"
Ryan: haha
Ryan: that could get kind of annoying
Me: and The Day After Tomorrow "day after tomorrow"
Me: yeah, I bet it does
Me: it's worse when the the's are in the middle of the title
Me: like Madeleine L'Engle's A Wind In the Door
Me: I totally call it Wind in Door now
Ryan: haha
Me: sad but true
Ryan: that's pretty bad

0 comments: