Thursday, December 07, 2006

beep boop

I'm working on a CD for the 'phew, anyone got any suggestions on songs a kid would like but that aren't horrible?

Here's what I have so far, it might not make the final cut:

What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor - Irish Rovers. Yeah, the kid loves that song, I don't know why. At least when we sing it, I have no idea whether or not he'd like this version or not. Plus, this stupid version has all the verses and they involve things that I don't know if they're appropriate for kids. Is there a shorter and/or clean version out there?

Ben Folds - the Heist. Hey, it's from a kids movie. A kids movie he actually likes. And it's Ben Folds. Everyone wins.

Animal Crackers, Hippo in my bathtub, teddybear's picnic - Anne Murray. All songs I enjoyed as a kid. I am not sure if they are too girly or not for a boy, though.

Upside Down - Jack Johnson. Eh, I'm not married to this song or anything, but it's half decent, and again it's from a children's movie so I can kind of justify it. Dunno if he'd actually like it though.

the Marvelous Toy - Peter Paul and Mary. Another favorite from when I was little.

Video Killed The Radio Star - the phew's name starts with an "O," and thus he is often saddled with the nickname O. So... all the "oh, oh's" in the song would be like it's about him! And it's kind of goofy-ish.

They Might Be Giants - I'm trying to decide what. Their actual kids album-kind of annoying. The only one I like from that at all is "The House at the Top of the Hill" and it would get pretty annoying with lots of repetition. But... all their music is kind of silly. I liked Istanbul (not Constantinople) when I was a kid and saw it on Tiny Toons. Does that mean a 3 year old would like it? Is Whistling In the Dark goofy enough to make the self affirming life message go down easier? Does Cowtown qualify? What about Dr. Worm?

I'm Different - Butterfly Boucher. It's on a kid's album! And has a self affirming life message.....

Mr. Fancypants by Jonathan Coulton? The only one of his goofy songs appropriate for kids, maybe?

Any ideas or advice?

EDIT: I WIN AT LIFE -- Dschinghis Khan has a slightly cleaner version of the drunken sailor song. WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!?!?!?

0 comments: