Sunday, September 10, 2006

you're one badass fucking fractal!

I know I'm a small, small person to get mad over this, but I am pretty pissed because it just seems so.... unecessary and halfway intended to vex me.

It has to do with our mailboxes at work.

Some of them are narrow, some of them are double the size. Most non-management personnel have the narrow, but there are some exceptions such as the inventory team and our corporate sales representative, and Opt.

The thing is, though, that the narrow ones suck. We can check out books at work, and there's no good way to stick a hardback book or trade paperback without it being in there kind of funny, which makes me worry it'll get bent somehow. And I also frequently have tupperware of some kind and one to two staff mugs also jammed in there. And obviously I don't want those to touch books or any important papers I have in the mailbox.

So a few months ago, a couple inventory members left, and there was a big mailbox available. I really wanted it, but didn't do anything about it for like a month. After awhile, though, I was like, "this prime slice of real estate is being wasted!" and was like screw it, and just moved all my stuff into that place, and moved my name label over there. So... that day, Lister apparently took it into his head to give the new Inventory member, Sexy*, the mailbox I had. Because he's IPT. But Sexy had been there like two weeks by then and already had one of the little mailboxes for awhile. So it pissed me off pretty badly, especially since I had been having an absolutely awful day to begin with. So I moved back to my old mailbox.

So.... with the musical supervisors we've had lately... I was just like, "screw it" and took Sista's old big mailbox like a month or two ago. Again I had waited awhile... but her mailbox is PERFECT, way better than Sexy's. Not just in wideness, but it is also the perfect height for someone my height. Ironically, my old mailbox is the perfect height as well, and I worried a little that if they made me move again, I might not be able to go back to it. But I figured if they wanted to save the mailbox, they'd tell me. So I've had this mailbox for awhile. Longer than a lot of our employees have worked at the store. My old mailbox was taken, but I was beginning to think I was going to get to keep the new one. There's room! When the new new sup got hired, he got a different mailbox. But now they're hiring someone to replace him and they FINALLY have someone to replace sista, so......

But here's the weird part. I actually still have a double wide. But they still moved my mailbox down so I have to bend over to get to it. So... I can see why a supervisor might NEED a wider one, because they'd likely have more important documents than me. But is there a reason they NEED to not bend down? No. So it just seems weird all around.... Part of me says I'm a bitch to get this angry about it, as they still gave me what I ostensibly wanted, the wide mailbox. They might've even had to move some dividers around or something. But I am used to having the perfect mailbox! Why would they move me just so some stupid sup wouldn't have to bend? It seems stupid and mean and small that they would move me for basically no reason. Plus, they didn't even tell me! They just moved it! Its like the fucking promotion all over again! I know it is jerky of me to not want to bend, but considering all the fricking bending I do all day at that job, to get people bags for their purchases, to shelve things, to alphabetize things, to find things, if I can avoid one more squat/bend one day, it makes me happy!

I'm tempted to just switch it and act like I didn't know I couldn't since no one even bothered to tell me anything, and the new cafe sup hasn't started yet, and so wouldn't even know about the whole thing anyway.

Either way, I know it's a stupid thing to get pissed off about, so I'm not going to complain to Elaine or anybody. I just needed a good vent.

____________
* By the way, my hatred of Sexy apparently grows in leaps and bounds, and I suspect he is also beginning to despise me back, which actually makes me happy because maybe he won't always be bothering me that way. Anyway, I yelled at him for stealing my pen the other day (which was while I was at registers, where it's very bad to get stuck without a pen, and I had TALKED to him about this before) AND the same day for randomly walking away from registers without getting the last customer (a particularly weird and annoying customer, to boot). And when I say yell... I mean literally, YELLED at him. Because he was being a stinker, and I don't think he even realizes how much he pisses people off unless they make it abundantly clear! Anyway, today at reg he left an un-deactivated DVD beeping for a really long time and it was grating on my nerves and I turned to him saying, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEXY..." right when he was about to deactivate it and he was like, "YOU BETTER STOP YELLING AT ME" and I was like, "YOU BETTER STOP PISSING ME OFF" and then I had to apologize for my salty language, because of course this interchange happened right in front of some customers. I'm thinking now I have to get out of this job not just because of all the other reasons, but now before I break down and either strangle Sexy or kick the crap out of him.

2 comments:

Pablo said...

I've got to start visiting your store! It's a thousand miles away from me, but would be well worth the drive to watch you kick the crap out of your coworkers! :-) Can I bring food into the store? I'm thinking I'll bring a drink and some popcorn, and then relax on one of those comfy chairs (the kind that you probably have for the benefit of the cheap customers so they can read books in the store that they won't end up buying anyway.) Yeah, so I'll get a good seat and then let the fights begin! That'd be awesome!!

Phoex said...

haha, do it! do it! Maybe the last day of work I will have you over and just beat the living daylights out of this guy.