Wednesday, August 11, 2010

So last night I finally saw Kick Ass. I'd been looking forward to it a long time, perhaps the only movie I've been looking forward to seeing in awhile. Anyway, it didn't disappoint. Even despite the presence of Nicholas Cage, who I'm not a big fan of.

My two gripes are that 1) it CLEARLY left the ending open for a sequel (which I've named Kickass II: Rise of McLovin). 2) It did market the trailer on it being ordinary people becoming superheroes. But I'd say 3 of the four superheros were Bruce Wayne rich and had access to Batmanesque gadgets (though those gadgets were somewhat more bloody). But the main guy was reasonably dopey, I guess, though he did get some slight physical upgrades partway through the movie.

But what I liked is that the main guy WAS really ordinary. And pretty stupid to go fighting crime as an ordinary guy. But all the characters seemed to have more heart than the average big budget action characters, and while the main guy wasn't super ugly, he didn't have that hollywood pretty boy aura about him either.

I guess in my head I'm comparing it to Percy Jackson/Lightning Thief which I also saw not too long ago and has some surface similarities in plot. i.e. regular dude ends up becoming super/doing super things. But Percy was ridiculously overpowered, did things no demigod did in the greek mythology upon which it was based. All the characters had that clean, perfect look of movie stars. It was just sort of bland and hard to care about. But, to be honest, I think Jeremy had higher hopes for it than I had. I find it hard to get excited about any movie based on a young adult novel. I mean, the trailers made it look like it might be good, so I had some interest, but meh.

Also: This guy's supposed to be all tough and they named him fucking Percy? That's such a girly name. I think he's supposed to be named after Perseus or something, but still. And half the time people would call him Pers (which sounds like Purse) which is even worse. For a couple days after we saw it Jeremy and I would do high voices and say things like, "I'm Percy! But people call me purse because I hold girl's purses while they go to the bathroom. I like to try on their makeup! Then I go home and masturbate and cry myself to sleep. I have to make sure it's not waterproof makeup though. That's my kryptonite!"

Also, a lot of the mythology was messed up. And like, the entrance to the underworld is under fucking California, Mt. Olympus is in the Empire State Building? Wouldn't you think some of that shit would be in Greece?

0 comments: