Tuesday, August 14, 2007

get out while you can

OLD PEOPLE LIKE MY MUSICAL TASTE.

So I don't know if I've mentioned it, but there is this middle aged lady in the building who moved in recently. I think she's got a husband or boyfriend or something living in there too, which makes me sad for them (if you are middle aged and forced to share an apt. my size with another human being, that is sad). Anyway, she's really friendly. And I do kind of like her, she's nice and her stories usually are pretty interesting. But... they never end. Like one thing reminds her of another, and another, and you can never get a word in to make it a real conversation or to escape. Which kind of makes me jumpy and want to get away.

So, today when I was coming home from work, I saw her, and was not really in the mood so I told myself I was going to be like, "well I gotta get upstairs" and sort of nip it in the bud before the "neverending story you feel like you're rude if you interupt" begins. But then she was like, "What radio station do you listen to all the time? It's SO good, but I can never find it, and it's driving me nuts!"

That's right, folks. She knows my kryptonite: musical vanity.

So I told her that it was just the mp3's on my computer. And I felt kind of bad that they can hear the music that well down there even when I'm trying to keep it down and they apparently like it.

The thing is, though, especially since I'm going through the list of EVERYTHING randomized, I couldn't even tell her what it is I'm listening to in particular. But I was kind of frightened when she was telling me about the other night when it was awesome bass for quite a long time that it was the Bloodhound Gang, and I'll someday have to play it for her and be like, "This is what you were rocking out to down there." Hopefully though it was when I was listening to Modest Mouse or RHCP or something (the other non list approved things I've broken down andlistened to lately. And RHCP DOES have awesome bass...).

But anyway, somehow she managed to get from that to the llamas the govt. of El Salvador bought for her sister, and I was still there forced to listen twenty minutes later.

Then, and I sort of knew this was inevitable, but since she'll yack anyone's ear off, and model train guy will yack anyone's ear off, they're apparently friends. So Model Train guy came out after awhile, and I KNEW he'd probably been listening and now knows that even though I will rudely interupt him and say, "gotta go now" the instant I see him, I will sit there and listen to her yacking for like half an hour. He is probably going to flip out and kill me with a model train now. Especially since as soon as he came out I did start fighting to get away again and left as soon as possible.

0 comments: